Thursday 2 April 2009

Legalising Drugs




While I don't agree with all of the 10 reasons that are made here for legalising drugs, there are some interesting points made.


I believe that we should all be allowed choice in our lives and that includes what drugs we take. However by having choice does not mean that we are not held responsible for our actions. Alcohol can cause people to behave in ways that are hurtful to others - is a drug addict that steals to fund a habit any worse than an alcoholic who regularly beats their loved ones whilst drunk?
However can we definitely say that when we are under the influence of drugs (and I always include alcohol under this heading) as we certain that we still retain choice - or are the drugs controlling us? If the taking of drugs leads us to behave in a way that is "bad" and we later reflect on that behaviour - if we can remember it - then we need to consider whether drugs are giving us choice or actually taking it away from us.
I have got drunk and done things that I later wish I hadn't and for that reason, stop at the "Merry Stage" so that I am still in control. This is not because I don't want to have fun, it is because I want to have choice in what I do. I see drugs as an extension of this and that is why I said I would take LSD in a controlled environment; before the experiment I could explain very clearly under what circumstances I WOULD CHOSE it to stop.
It finally comes down to responsibility, not just choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment