Tuesday 14 April 2009

in response to "Naughty but nice - Proud to be British"

http://beingbad01.blogspot.com/2009/04/proud-to-be-british.html

I am in total agreement with this blog re patriotism and infact it attempts to answer many of my questions about bad behaviour that stems from having no pride in the place that you live in.

And I think taking racism out of the discussion on patriotism is essential, as the two issues are so far apart.

But to throw a spanner in the works, I would go one step further to say that I am proud to be English, not British. British seems so indecisive, lets sit on the fence and not really put our allegiances in any one particular camp, but NO, English I am, and proud to be so. The Scots, Welsh and Irish all have their identities, traits, etc, and so do we.

Can anyone explain why St Patricks Day is celebrated with such gusto, but St George's Day passes without a mention? Is it a result of this association with BNP, facists etc, that the English have, are we afraid that it might be un PC to wave the St Georges Flag, for fear of upsetting someone, or is it that we just can't be bothered to make an effort.

I for one, am ready to stand up and be counted, proud to be English, and part of this rich culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment